Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Why the 13" MacBook Pro still uses Core 2 Duo CPUs

Why the 13" MacBook Pro still uses Core 2 Duo CPUs

In case there were questions about this issue, the answer has been given. In the music entertainment industry and other entertainment industries alike, the Mac is a primary computing piece of hardware. For a while, it was believed that having a Mac was better. As a long time PC user and a past career as a PC technician, my stand was with the PC. My transition into using a Mac was due to my change into the music entertainment industry. Once discovering keyboard and similar application operations, the realization became preference. FOXNews.com wrote an article in February of 2010 (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/23/pc-vs-mac-the-straight-scoop/) that pretty much sums up my analysis of the two - they are just computers. Where the PC offers many varieties and flavors, Mac has basic variants.

When you get into the price between the two, you get what you pay for basically. Mac only offers high-end from their smallest MacBook to their power desktop and there's no "bells and whistle" extras. PCs offer features like touchscreens, Blu-Ray and more. At the end of the day, you can purchase a PC-based machine that costs the same as a Mac and get the same performance or better.

Software-wise, there are applications that are strictly for Mac and there's applications that are both PC and Mac compatible. Based on operating systems, Vista was no match for Mac's OS X. From experience, a high-end PC running Windows XP Pro, I saw no difference in performance. Again, it boils down to preference.

Now, there is a way you can purchase a Mac and setup a dual boot and run Windows XP or Vista as well as Mac OS X (http://www.ehow.com/how_4919543_dual-boot-mac.html). If you are not savvy on computer setups, it is suggested that you have a technician perform this for you or someone who knows how to setup dual boot systems. As the owner of both type of systems, they both serve their own functions for specific reasons in my daily routines. In my past, I have crashed both systems proving to myself that one is no better than the other. I practice securities, maintenance and backups on both machines and my issues are only what I make them.