Sunday, May 9, 2010

ACE: Productions: The Movement

     This is the first publicly noted opinion where I intend to share my stand on what the overall accomplishment of ACE: Productions will be for new joining artists/bands.  I can go into this from many angles, but I am going to touch base in one area that I like many others, feel very strongly about and this will speak the purpose behind the goals of the ACE: Productions vision.
     Music and I have a lifetime relationship.  Our marriage has been the only relationship that I have cheated on abusively but she has never left my side nor have I hers.  Music has many sides (genres) to her and I enjoy an extensive wide range of them.  Like in any relationship, there are some things that I don't like but they are easily overlooked because of my love for her.  Through the years, she has changed and continues to change, but she has been used and abused by many others.  Some to glorify her and others that has made her look like, what I would call, a "crack-head whore" - used and abused.  I know that was a very strong thing to write for you as a reader, but the imagery is appropriate if you continue reading.
     Amongst the different genres that will be produced under the ACE: Productions name, Rap music will be the one most paid attention to for its content.
     "All cultural products are expressions of certain values. Rap music is characterized by greed and lust and vanity. Greed for money, and cars, and cribs, and bling-bling. Lust for a crude form of sexual gratification, that is not liberating, but is demeaning and dehumanizing. And a simple-minded form of boastful vanity that would be easily seen as vulgar if, say, a white teenager in Van Nuys exhibited it, but that is somehow an admirable expression of racial pride if a sneering black rap performer prances about with his ego on display."  (DeWitt, L., 2005)
     This is something that I have seen take place since the mid-90s and have been an advocate against to where I show no love for artists that produce Rap music with this expression in their music.  As a DJ for 30 years, I have helped break and played many of the greatest emcees and will now only play songs that have real emcees.
"I'm not removed from it, but I can't really tell the difference between Young Jeezy and Yung Joc. It's the same dumb stuff to me," says Duncan-Smith, 33. "I can't listen to that nonsense ... I can't listen to another black man talk about you don't come to the 'hood anymore and ghetto revivals ... I'm from the 'hood. How can you tell me you want to revive it? How about you want to change it? Rejuvenate it?"  (Moody, N.M., 2007)
     Rejuvenating the sound and what will be heard is the direction of ACE: Productions.  Yes, the battle will be uphill, but what is a fight that has no meaning?  What is a fight that has no purpose?  This is more than about appreciation, it's about passion for music and the image she is portrayed in.  Chuck D said it best in his visit to Full Sail:  "A lot of people don't know a lot about music." (iTunes U: Full Sail University, 2008)  It is true that history can save you as my experiences has led me to this point with trying to make a difference in the way people will see music in her future.  This is the vision of ACE: Productions and how we will rejuvenate my first love - MUSIC.

References:

DeWitt, L., (2005). Rap music: making excuses for a degenerate culture [Essay]. Retrieved from http://www.larrydewitt.net/Essays/Rap.htm

iTunes U: Full Sail University presents Chuck D, (2008, May 16). The past, present, and future of the music industry [Video]. Retrieved from https://deimos.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/BrowsePrivately/fullsail.com.1805599638

Moody, N.M., (2007, March 1). Sales of rap music are declining as more are critical of its message. Herald Tribune. Retrieved from http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070301/NEWS/703010476